Yesterday, some friends of mine just went live with MyPetStreet, a new social network for pet owners. MyPetStreet provides some unique features for pet owners:
- Aggregated content and news feeds related to pet health, news, and product information.
- An repository of pet service providers and resources from the local community.
- A forum where users can find expert opinions, share pet owner insights, and ask questions to other pet owners.
- A unique lost-pet service that uses a combination of Web 2.0 technologies and old-fashioned plastic tags.
- Searching for service providers is implemented using AJAX and Google maps. You simply put in your zip code, search criteria, and voila! The service providers pop up on a map. (Check it out)
- Content management is provided using Drupal, an open-source content-management framework.
- The site is implemented using LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.